A bulging disc is a condition where a spinal disc begins to extend out of its normal boundary in the spinal column. This is usually due to natural degeneration of these discs, which begin to dry out and lose elasticity over time, making them less able to withstand the pressure they’re placed under every day.
While bulging discs aren’t always painful, they can cause spinal narrowing and nerve compression that leads to local and radiating symptoms. This pain can be severely debilitating, taking you away from the people and activities you love. If bulging disc pain is affecting you, it’s important to stay positive because there are many effective treatment options for this condition.
Bulging disc treatment options
While the underlying conditions that cause bulging discs are age related, individual cases of this condition can improve with time. It is important to work closely with your doctor for a diagnosis and bulging disc treatment plan while you monitor the progress of this condition. Often-recommended options that can help relieve pain, improve mobility and promote the health of the spine include the following:
- Taking anti-inflammatory or pain relief medication
- Getting regular low-impact exercise to help stretch and strengthen the spine
- Maintaining a healthy weight, which reduces pressure on your discs
- Practicing good posture to help evenly distribute stress on the spine
- Avoiding tobacco products and excessive alcohol consumption
- Attending regular sessions with a physical therapist
- Eating a balanced, nutrient-rich diet
- Receiving therapeutic massage or manual adjustment from a qualified massage therapist or chiropractor
Additionally, some patients with bulging discs also pursue treatments outside of the medical mainstream, such as acupuncture, as part of a comprehensive care plan. If you do explore alternative treatments, keep your primary doctor informed and only work with licensed, reputable practitioners.
Considering bulging disc surgery
Spine surgery is usually seen as a last resort for bulging disc treatment and most doctors and patients will want to make sure all other options have been fully explored before it is seriously considered. To learn more about bulging disc treatment, including how our minimally invasive spine surgery is a safer and effective alternative to traditional open back procedures, contact USA Spine Care today.
A member of our caring and dedicated team will be happy to provide a free MRI review* to determine if you are a potential candidate for one of our procedures.