Home » Spine Conditions » Bulging Disc » 10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before Seeking Surgery for a Bulging Disc
If you’re thinking about having surgery for a bulging disc, you probably have quite a few questions. Bulging disc surgery is a major procedure, and the decision to progress from nonsurgical treatment to surgery requires careful consideration. With the help of an experienced medical professional, however, you can choose the approach that’s best for your specific situation.
How to figure out if you need bulging disc surgery
It may be possible to manage your neck and back pain with nonsurgical measures, such as medications, physical therapy and exercise. As a general rule of thumb, you’ll want to spend six to eight weeks (at a minimum) trying these therapies before considering surgery. You can also turn to complementary therapies, such as yoga and chiropractic care, to see if your condition improves.
If, after trying several different types of nonsurgical treatment, your symptoms are still interfering with your day-to-day life, you may want to ask a physician about surgery for your bulging disc. Some specific questions that you may want to ask include:
- Are there any other nonsurgical treatments that I should consider at this time?
- What could I reasonably expect if I don’t have surgery?
- What are the different procedures that could be used to treat my condition?
- Are there different pros and cons for each procedure? Can you explain them in detail?
- What are the success rates for the different operations?
- What sort of timeframe should I expect for my recovery?
- What sort of limitations will I experience, both in the short term and the long term?
- How (and when) will we know if the procedure was a success?
- How many times have you performed the specific procedure you are recommending for me?
- Should I get a second opinion?
Surgical treatment at USA Spine Care
As the leader in minimally invasive spine surgery, USA Spine Care is here to answer any questions you might have about surgery for a bulging disc. We perform minimally invasive bulging disc surgery as a safer and effective alternative to open spine surgery, and our procedures have helped thousands of patients find relief from their pain. You can contact us for more information or to request a no-cost MRI review.* Our team will be happy to help you find out if you’re a candidate for our minimally invasive outpatient procedures.