Home » Spine Conditions » Bulging Disc » Minimally Invasive Bulging Disc Treatments
Bulging disc treatment can often be accomplished without traditional open spine surgery. In fact, many physicians encourage their patients to use the most conservative or minimally invasive remedy that works for them. Toward that end, there may be several options to consider.
One possible downside to this approach is that finding an effective bulging disc treatment plan can take time — in some cases, up to several months. But, you should look at it this way: your time will be well spent, because it may help you avoid an unnecessary operation.
How to begin bulging disc treatment
If you are experiencing discomfort that warrants treatment, you should start by having a personal consultation with an experienced physician, who can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and individualized advice and guidance. Depending on your unique needs and goals, your bulging disc treatment program might begin with:
- Weight loss, if applicable
- Activity modifications, such as avoiding heavy lifting and making ergonomic adjustments to your workstation
- Moist heat and ice pack applications to painful areas as necessary
- Regular stretching and strengthening exercises to enhance the flexibility and strength of your core muscles, which can help your spine accommodate the stress of a bulging disc
- Over-the-counter pain relievers and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) taken as needed
- Chiropractic spinal decompression therapy
- Epidural steroid injections
Minimally invasive bulging disc surgery
If you find that conservative bulging disc treatment does not provide the relief you need within the timeframe suggested by your physician, you might start to think about having surgery — but not necessarily traditional open spine surgery. Consider that the minimally invasive spine surgery performed by the surgeons at USA Spine Care is often the clinically appropriate first choice and provides many advantages versus open neck or back surgery.
If you’d like to learn more, contact USA Spine Care. We can provide you with a no-cost MRI review* to determine if you are a candidate for our minimally invasive surgery.