A bone spur is an outgrowth of bone that can develop as a result of an inflamed or damaged joint. Within the spine, bone spurs may occur if the spinal discs or other components of the joints wear away, leading to bone rubbing directly against another bone. If you’ve been diagnosed with this condition, you may be wondering if bone spur surgery is a treatment option you can or should consider.
What symptoms can a bone spur cause?
On its own, a bone spur in the spine may not cause any noticeable symptoms. In fact, you may not even know you have a bone spur in these cases. Without any noticeable symptoms, there is no need for surgery or any other treatment. However, if the spinal bone spur comes in contact with a nearby nerve root, you may experience pain, numbness, tingling and various other symptoms. In these cases, you’ll want to address your symptoms to prevent them from worsening or interfering in your daily routines.
Is bone spur surgery an option for me?
Before considering surgery, you may want to explore less invasive treatment options, which may provide adequate relief for your symptoms and make bone spur surgery unnecessary. Some of the conservative treatments you can try include:
- Pain medications, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Regular, low-impact exercises like walking or swimming
- Physical therapy to learn targeted stretching techniques
- Hot and cold compresses applied at the location of the bone spur
- Improving posture and avoiding heavy lifting to protect the spine
- Quitting smoking and losing excess weight, if applicable
- Alternative treatments, such as chiropractic care, deep tissue massage and acupuncture
What are my surgical treatment options?
If you’re still experiencing symptoms after exploring your conservative treatment options, it may be time to consider surgery to remove the outgrowth of bone. While your physician may recommend traditional open neck or back surgery, you may be a candidate for minimally invasive spine surgery at USA Spine Care instead. Our outpatient procedures are a safer and effective alternative to traditional open spine surgery and have shorter recovery times.^
To learn more about minimally invasive bone spur surgery at USA Spine Care, contact us today.