Home » Spine Conditions » Foraminal Narrowing » Five methods for foraminal narrowing relief
Foraminal narrowing is described as the narrowing of the tunnels where the nerves exit the spine. This condition can result in pressure or pinching of the exiting nerve root causing localized and radiating pain as well as numbness, tingling and muscle weakness. If you are experiencing debilitating symptoms associated with this condition, consult your doctor immediately for an accurate diagnosis and to learn about the ways to find relief from foraminal narrowing.
What treatments may be recommended to relieve foraminal narrowing symptoms?
If your doctor confirms that you are indeed suffering from foraminal narrowing in your spine, he or she will likely put together a treatment regimen that consists of:
- Pain medications including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antidepressants, epidural steroid injections and prescription narcotics to treat nerve pain and inflammation
- Weight management as excess weight and lack of proper nutrients in your diet can worsen your condition by creating added pressure on the spine when bending, twisting and rotating
- Low-impact exercises like walking, swimming or bicycling are vital in relieving stress placed on your spine and strengthening your muscles
- Physical therapy techniques such as massages, hot and cold therapy, ultrasounds and range of motion exercises can help strengthen the muscles in the spine and relieve nerve root compression
- Spine surgery may be recommended as a last resort if the above nonsurgical treatments do not provide you with adequate relief from foraminal narrowing after several weeks or months
USA Spine Care’s minimally invasive foraminal narrowing surgery
As you are choosing what surgical approach to consider, we encourage you to contact USA Spine Care to learn about the advantages of selecting our outpatient procedures for your foraminal narrowing treatment. At USA Spine Care, we offer minimally invasive spine surgery as a safer and effective alternative to traditional open neck or back surgery.^ Since 2005, we have helped more than 75,000 patients find relief from their chronic neck and back conditions.
USA Spine Care’s team of surgeons are able to use a small incision and muscle-sparing techniques to remove the source of compression in foraminal narrowing and provide the patient with lasting relief from their symptoms. Reach out to our dedicated team today with any questions you may have about our procedures and be sure to ask for a no-cost MRI review* to determine if you are a potential candidate for our minimally invasive spine surgery.
Browse Related Resources