Home » Spine Conditions » Collapsed Disc » Seven ways collapsed disc treatment can improve your life
A collapsed disc is a spinal disc that has become compressed due to either a traumatic injury or the cumulative effects of aging. As the disc loses height, pressure can be placed on a nerve root or the spinal cord. When this happens, it often triggers pain, tingling, numbness or muscle weakness. In order to alleviate these symptoms, doctors usually recommend a course of treatment that includes physical therapy, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs and lifestyle changes, among other options. In some cases, surgery may be considered for long-term relief.
Although the primary benefit of pursuing collapsed disc treatment options is the effective management of your pain, there are many secondary advantages that can improve your quality of life, including:
- Greater independence. Relief from chronic discomfort means you won’t have to rely as much on friends or family to help with household chores that used to aggravate your symptoms.
- A healthier lifestyle. Resuming a more active routine can improve your overall health by increasing the amount of exercise you get daily, which in turn can lower blood pressure, improve muscle tone and help with weight control.
- Strengthened relationships. If chronic pain kept you on the sidelines while loved ones participated in activities such as bicycling and swimming, you’ll be able to rejoin them along the trail or in the pool.
- Improved mobility. Walking, running and driving without pain eliminates the barriers that may have limited your ability to exercise and get from one location to another.
- Elevated mood. Constant pain can trigger feelings of anger, helplessness and depression. Managing your symptoms will help you regain your sense of control and optimism.
- Better posture. Keeping the neck, back and shoulders in proper alignment is important for overall appearance, as well as maintaining a healthy spine. By effectively treating your symptoms, you’ll be able to do this without discomfort.
- Improved job performance. Neck or back pain is a distraction that makes concentrating difficult. When you can sit, stand, bend and walk with ease, you’ll be more focused at work.
If you have been diagnosed with a collapsed disc and are ready to reap the many benefits of effective pain management, contact USA Spine Care today. We will be happy to discuss your condition and begin the process of determining if you’d be a good candidate for our minimally invasive surgeries.
Browse Related Resources