Home » Spine Conditions » Facet Disease » Five questions to ask before facet disease surgery
Learning that you need to have facet disease surgery to manage the symptoms of your condition will likely cause you to feel a number of emotions. While you are probably excited at the thought of getting your pain under control, you may also be feeling a little scared about what it will be like to have surgery. One way to combat this anxiety is to prepare for your procedure as much as possible so that you can go into it feeling confident and knowing exactly what to expect.
Starting a conversation
Despite the many thoughts going around in their heads, some patients find that it’s difficult to know where to begin when speaking with their physicians about facet disease surgery. If you are struggling to start a conversation with your physician about facet disease surgery, don’t worry. Here are five questions you can ask to help get the conversation going:
- Have we exhausted all nonsurgical treatment options? Many patients find that nonsurgical treatments are sufficient in managing their facet disease, so be cautious of agreeing to surgery as your first treatment option.
- What procedure am I having? It is a good idea to learn as much as you can about not only your spine condition, but also the surgery you will be having to address it.
- Are there minimally invasive options available to me? Generally speaking, minimally invasive procedures are easier on the body than open spine procedures, and boast a lower risk of complication and infection.^
- Who will be performing my surgery and what are their credentials? Don’t be afraid to make sure that the surgeon who is operating on your spine is experienced. You may also want to ask them how many times they’ve performed a procedure like the one being suggested to you. If you have any doubts, go elsewhere for a second opinion.
- What will my recovery be like following surgery? Knowing what to expect following surgery can ease some of your anxiety going into the procedure.
Facet disease surgery at USA Spine Care
One great resource for those who need facet disease surgery is USA Spine Care. Our minimally invasive outpatient procedures have helped countless patients reclaim their lives from neck and back pain, and come with less risk than traditional open spine surgery.^ If you have questions about our approach to facet disease surgery, contact USA Spine Care today and we will be happy to speak with you. Or, if you are interested in finding out if you are a candidate for our procedures, we can assist you with that assessment as well.
Browse Related Resources