Home » Spine Conditions » Degenerative Disc Disease » Nine tips to follow for a smoother recovery after degenerative disc disease surgery
Degenerative disc disease surgery is an option for individuals who have not found adequate symptom relief through more conservative treatment options, such as physical therapy, pain medications and gentle exercise. Whether you’re just starting to consider surgery as an option or your physician has already recommended a procedure, it’s important to know what to expect throughout the recovery process.
Keep these recovery tips in mind following your spinal procedure
Here are nine tips that can aid your recovery process following spinal surgery:
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions for the recovery process, including taking any medications as prescribed.
- Avoid driving for the first 48 hours following your procedure, or longer depending on the type of procedure you receive.
- Be patient and expect the recovery process to take some time, even if you received a minimally invasive procedure.
- Have a support team of friends and family in place to help out with some of your day-to-day routines, especially in the first few days following the surgery.
- Let your physician know as soon as possible if any new symptoms appear or existing symptoms worsen during the recovery period.
- Avoid sitting or otherwise staying in the same position for extensive periods of time, as this can lead to muscle stiffness and scar tissue buildup.
- Ease back into exercise and physical activities gradually to help promote the healing process without causing injury.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment with your surgeon about two weeks after the degenerative disc disease surgery to check in on your progress and redress the bandage.
- If you have any questions or concerns at any point during your recovery, ask your surgeon or physician for more information.
Learn more about minimally invasive spine surgery at USA Spine Care
USA Spine Care specializes in minimally invasive spinal procedures to treat degenerative disc disease and many other spine conditions. Our surgeons are highly skilled and experienced in the most advanced outpatient procedures and have helped countless patients find the relief they need from neck and back pain. Minimally invasive spine surgery at USA Spine Care is a safer and effective alternative to traditional open back surgery and has no lengthy recovery as well.^
If you’d like to find out if you’re a candidate for degenerative disc disease surgery at USA Spine Care, contact us today.
Browse Related Resources