Degenerative disc disease is a common condition that develops in the majority of adults as a result of age-related deterioration. Therefore, it is difficult to avoid the onset of this condition. However, there are a variety of methods described in the following article that can help to delay degenerative disc disease from developing or prevent the pain and discomfort from worsening.
Nonsurgical methods for degenerative disc disease
To delay degenerative disc disease or avoid your condition worsening, the following nonsurgical treatment options may be effective:
- Low-impact exercises like swimming, biking, walking, yoga or Pilates to increase blood flow and keep your spine strong and flexible
- Avoiding smoking and alcohol consumption to help the discs in your spine absorb vitamins and nutrients
- Maintaining proper posture and always keeping your cervical and lumbar spine supported
- Managing your weight by eating a balanced diet filled with fiber and exercising regularly
- Reducing impacts to the spine by learning proper body mechanics when heavy lifting
Furthermore, conservative methods such as pain medication, chiropractic care and physical therapy can also help you manage your condition. However, if you still develop degenerative disc disease or your condition worsens after several weeks or months of nonsurgical therapy, then surgical intervention may become necessary.
Surgical methods for degenerative disc disease
At USA Spine Care, we offer a variety of treatment methods to alleviate the symptoms associated with degenerative disc disease. Our minimally invasive procedures are performed using a small incision that is muscle sparing, allowing for a safer and effective alternative to traditional open spine surgery.^ To learn more about the advantages of our procedures, contact our dedicated team today.
As the leader in minimally invasive spine surgery, USA Spine Care has helped thousands of patients find relief from chronic neck and back pain each year, earning us a patient satisfaction score of 96.^ Our minimally invasive decompression and stabilization procedures can help you find lasting relief from your degenerative disc disease symptoms. To find out if you are a potential candidate for our outpatient procedures, reach out to USA Spine Care and ask for a free MRI review.*
Browse Related Resources