Home » Spine Conditions » Arthritis of the Spine » Five Tips for Managing Household Chores When You’re Dealing with Spinal Arthritis Pain
Arthritis of the spine — also commonly referred to as spinal osteoarthritis — affects millions of Americans and is most common in individuals over the age of 50. This is because spinal osteoarthritis is most often the result of the natural deterioration that occurs in spinal joints after many years of daily wear and tear. Symptoms of this condition can include pain, inflammation and back stiffness, and if nerve compression occurs, additional painful symptoms can radiate along a nerve pathway to other parts of the body.
Managing spinal arthritis pain
You can’t put off household chores indefinitely, even if you are experiencing pain from spinal arthritis. However, the following tips could help you get through your daily chores without aggravating your condition:
- Stretch. Spend a few minutes stretching out your hamstrings and back muscles to reduce tension in your back.
- Avoid heavy lifting, when possible. If you have to lift something, be sure to use proper technique and let your legs do the work.
- Try not to bend at the waist. If you need to get lower, bend your knees and try to keep your back upright whenever possible.
- Use proper posture. Poor posture can increase the pressure on the spine.
- Wear the right shoes. Make sure your footwear is comfortable and low-heeled.
Fortunately, the odds are good that you will be able to find arthritis of the spine pain relief by utilizing conservative treatment methods. Some treatments your doctor might recommend include the use of pain medications, hot/cold therapy, facet joint injections and strengthening exercises. You may also want to consider lifestyle modifications — such as shedding excess pounds and avoiding high-impact activities — to further reduce the strain on your spine.
If you’ve attempted nonsurgical treatments for several weeks or months and your symptoms haven’t improved, it might be time to consider minimally invasive spine surgery at USA Spine Care. Our procedures require no lengthy recovery, and our patients are up and walking within a few hours of surgery.^
If you would like to find out if you are a candidate for outpatient surgery at USA Spine Care, we would be happy to provide a free MRI review.* Contact us today to learn more.