Arthritis of the spine, also known as spinal osteoarthritis, affects millions of people over the age of 55. This degenerative spinal condition can occur when the cartilage in the spinal joints wears down following many years of wear and tear, allowing bones to rub against one another. When this happens, joints in the spine can become stiff and the friction produced can cause inflammation, and often, the formation of bone spurs. If a bone spur puts pressure on the spinal cord or a spinal nerve root, symptoms such as localized and radiating pain, numbness, tingling and muscle weakness can develop and arthritis of the spine treatment may be necessary.
Alternative treatments for spinal osteoarthritis
There are a wide variety of nonsurgical treatments, including pain and anti-inflammatory medications that may help manage your symptoms. As always, you should consult your physician before attempting any type of treatment.
Here are five natural arthritis of the spine treatment options that may help you find the symptom relief you are looking for:
- Chiropractic manipulation. Regular chiropractic adjustments can help take the pressure off nerves that have been affected by spinal arthritis by putting the spine back into proper alignment.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises. Regular exercise can help improve flexibility and strengthen the muscles that support the spine.
- Massage therapy. This form of treatment targets the muscles around the spine to help reduce tension.
- A high-collagen diet. Overall joint health can be improved by eating a healthy diet that includes the nutrients needed to help your body produce more collagen. Leafy greens, bone broth, wild salmon and eggs are a few excellent choices.
- Herbal supplements. You can naturally reduce pain and inflammation by taking supplements that contain fish oil, turmeric, magnesium and proteolytic enzymes.
Treatment at USA Spine Care
If you’ve attempted conservative and alternative treatments for several weeks or months and your symptoms remain, you may be a candidate for spine surgery at USA Spine Care. We can provide a no-cost MRI review* to determine if our minimally invasive procedures, which are a safer and effective alternative to traditional open back procedures,^ are an option for you. If you would like to learn more about our outpatient surgeries, contact USA Spine Care today.