Home » Spine Conditions » Annular Tear » Ask your doctor these 10 questions before your annular tear surgery
An annular tear is a condition that develops when the tough outer layer of a disc weakens and develops a tear, often because of degeneration. When this occurs, the gel-like center of the disc can leak into the spinal column, causing pain, numbness, tingling, weakness and burning after the disc comes into contact with a nerve in the spine.
Typically, conservative treatments such as low-impact exercise, anti-inflammatories and chiropractic care may be helpful for providing you with relief. However, if you still experience pain and discomfort after several weeks or months, then surgery may become necessary. If this is the case for you, it is important to be prepared with a list of questions to ask your doctor prior to annular tear surgery.
What annular tear surgery questions should you ask?
To make sure that you are making the best decision for your spine care needs, you should ask your doctor the following questions before choosing to undergo annular tear surgery:
- How severe is my condition?
- Are there any nonsurgical treatments left to try before surgery?
- What would happen if I choose to forgo surgery for my annular tear?
- What are the risks of complication and infection of traditional annular tear surgery?
- Is there a less invasive alternative available?
- What is the recovery time for annular tear surgery?
- Is there a way to speed up my recovery time?
- How soon will I be able to return to work?
- What activities will be restricted after surgery and for how long?
- Is there a surgeon that you recommend?
Annular tear surgery at USA Spine Care
At USA Spine Care, we offer a safer and effective alternative to traditional open spine surgery.^ Our minimally invasive procedures also carry lower risks of complication and infection as well as shorter recovery periods compared to traditional open spine surgery.^ To learn more about the advantages of our outpatient procedures, reach out to our dedicated team.
After undergoing our minimally invasive spine surgery, 81 percent of our patients have reported returning to work within three months after surgery and 88 percent of patients have reported returning to daily activities within three months after surgery,^ allowing them to quickly get back to their daily routine.
Since 2005, we have helped thousands of patients find relief from their chronic neck or back conditions, setting us apart as the leader in minimally invasive spine surgery. To find out if you are a potential candidate for our annular tear surgery, contact us today and ask for a free MRI review.* We can help guide you on your journey to wellness.