How may we help you?

Home » Spine Conditions » Degenerative Disc Disease » What kind of doctor should I see for degenerative disc disease?

What kind of doctor should I see for degenerative disc disease?

Degenerative disc disease refers to the normal deterioration of spinal discs over time. As we age, our spinal discs begin to lose water and collagen, causing them to become thinner and less spongy. This gradual deterioration of the spinal discs can cause you to experience a number of symptoms, including increased pain with activities that involve bending or twisting the spine, muscle spasms, radiating pain that feels hot, sharp or stabbing and a sensation that the neck or back is going to give out.

If you have degenerative disc disease and are seeking relief from your symptoms, there are several kinds of professionals who can treat your condition. Some of them include:

  • Chiropractors — who use nonsurgical methods such as manual spinal manipulation to treat back conditions
  • Primary care physicians — who can prescribe medications to reduce pain and inflammation
  • Orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons — who can perform spinal decompression or fusion procedures to alleviate pressure on the nerves and stabilize the spine

While conservative treatment methods help relieve symptoms for many patients with degenerative disc disease, sometimes more invasive methods are necessary to provide lasting relief. At USA Spine Care, our board-certified surgeons+ perform minimally invasive surgeries that are a safer and effective alternative to traditional open spine surgeries.^ They incorporate smaller incisions, muscle-sparing techniques, and can be done on an outpatient basis.

If you would like to learn more the treatment options we offer to those living with degenerative disc disease, contact USA Spine Care today. We’d be happy to provide you with a free MRI review* to determine if you’re a candidate for our minimally invasive surgeries.

Browse Related Resources

Call Now Button