Home » Spine Conditions » Degenerative Disc Disease » Five natural pain relief options for degenerative disc disease
If you are looking for different methods of degenerative disc disease pain relief, you may want to consider adding some alternative care options to your treatment regimen. Alternative treatments are those not considered to be mainstream. These treatments are natural and work by promoting the body’s innate healing ability.
Before you begin any alternative treatments for degenerative disc disease pain relief, consult with your physician to ensure they will not worsen your condition or interfere with any of the other treatments you have been prescribed. Some ways to naturally achieve pain relief for degenerative disc disease that you may want to ask your physician about include:
- Massage therapy. Getting a massage can help to relax the muscles around your spine, promote relaxation and reduce stress.
- Acupuncture. This is a traditional Chinese treatment method that promotes healing by stimulating the energy flow to certain parts of the body. An acupuncturist inserts very thin needles into specific points of the body.
- Supplements. Certain natural substances like turmeric can help to reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Some substances can react with certain medications, however, so be sure to check with your physician before taking any sort of supplement.
- Chiropractic care. A chiropractor uses his or her hands to manually adjust the spine, allowing it to return to its proper position. This can reduce pressure and relieve pain, though consistent sessions are often needed to maintain relief.
- Yoga. Yoga is a great way to stretch and strengthen the muscles surrounding the spine. It is also a good form of stress relief because it promotes relaxation and mindfulness.
If these and other nonsurgical methods of degenerative disc disease pain relief are not effective after several weeks or months, contact USA Spine Care to learn if our minimally invasive outpatient surgeries could help you reclaim your life from neck or back pain. Our procedures are a safer and effective alternative to traditional open spine procedures, offering patients less risk of infection and shorter recovery times.^ We can provide you with a free review* of your MRI to determine if you are a candidate for our procedures.
Browse Related Resources